Answer: Start a bunch of home improvement and don’t finish any of them….. In the midst of the insanity I can see life getting a little better bit by bit, so I keep doing it.
I reached a point where I couldn’t take it any more….the disorganization, dirt and 45 year old carpet with disintegrating pad. I dove into a bunch of projects pretty much simultaneously. We don’t have much of a budget for each space so we’re doing some unorthodoxed things…like thumbtacking placemats over windows, painting sub floors, and cutting curtains in half so we can have 2. In the past few weeks:
1. Caleb’s room: Removed carpet and wallpaper. Painted walls and subfloor. New rug, new bedding, new curtains, new desk, lego organizational area. Still need: Lego desk, dust ruffle….and doors. Doors would be really nice.
2. Painted the Family Room French Doors white and started to white wash the fireplace. Bought supplies for a giant chalkboard.
Plus that cabinet on the ground, to the right, with all the stuff on it belongs on top of the fridge. We now have the screws in hand to take care of that. Happy Dance. The chalkboard will cover the end of the fireplace that the cabinet is leaning against. It has an unsightly seam on it that use to be hidden under a wall. We discovered it when we opened up the floor plan and it’s been visible from the front door for 2+years.
3. Master Bedroom: Removed Carpet. Painted subfloor. Deconstructed bed. “new” rug, sofa, curtains, light, lamps, mirrors, side table, plants…..Still needs pillows and artwork….later
4. Girl’s Bathroom: Removed wallpaper and popcorn ceiling. Still needs Skimcoat, paint on walls and trim. New faucet, new toilet. Tile around sink area. Refinish tub and sink top so they will be white. Shower curtain, window shade and bamboo blind. Towel hooks…..don’t make me go on.
5. Entry: Took carpet off stairs (I did this before Christmas actually.) Still needs a coat of stain on treads and bannister and white paint on trim. Still need to paint walls…but parts of the room will need scaffolding…
All of these jobs are on a gentle pause while I figure out how in the world to do the next steps. When I get stuck in one space, I start on the next one. It’s a bad habit.
In the meantime, I’m getting ready for our Spring Concert, taking the choir to World’s of Fun for a play day, and preparing graduation music.
Totally Unrelated News: I’m 1 contact away from earning a trip to ATLANTIS BAHAMAS with MomCeo. If you are at all mildly curious about how I earn money with MomCeo, put in your info and let me give you a call. I would be super sad to be this close and not qualify for the trip, plus I think it would really bless your family too. Atlantis is the place Dave Ramsey took us when we were finalists with his Total Money Makeover Contest. I can’t express how awesome it would be to go back as a successful small business owner.